Officers &
Warrant Officers - Men

 

In 1885, the Officers uniform consisted of a dark suit, stiff single white collar, bowler hat and single woven collar badge. In 1886 the Glengarry cap, "with a silver ornament representing the crest of the Brigade" was added.

In 1893 a short brown military cane and tan gloves were introduced.

An Officers’ Buttonhole Badge for use on parades was approved in 1897, silver for Captains and bronze for Lieutenants, this was discontinued in 1903.  In 1899 a Field Service Cap for Officers was introduced, with special badge. One row of white piping round top edge and two round silvered buttons in front were added in 1912. After the union with the BLB in 1926, a small version of the Glengarry cap badge was used on the Field Service Cap, this was discontinued circa 1960. The same badge was used in 1981 for Women Officers (see the next section).

 

In 1916 Bronzed Collar Badges were introduced for Lieutenants and Captains (But not for 2nd Lieutenant’s). Also around this time a dark brown walking stick with hook handle was introduced for Officers. In 1951, walking sticks were partially withdrawn only to be used by Captains or Officers in charge of parades and 2nd Lieutenant rank abolished. The use of walking sticks was withdrawn in 1982.

In 1926, the rank of Warrant Officer was introduced, this having originally been a BLB rank. The Warrant Officers’ uniform was similar to Lieutenant’s uniform with special badges on both lapels of the jacket and in the cap, tan gloves and a blue suit. They carried a straight black stick, with plain silver knob which in 1946 was changed to a walking stick and its use eventually discontinued in 1951.

The Union with the BLB in 1926 also resulted in two alternative styles of uniform being worn by Officers and Warrant Officers. Field Service or Service Pattern Cap, blue tunic, black waist-belt (With white metal buckle) and frosted silver collar badges. When Field - Service caps were worn Captains wore two silver buttons and other officers two black buttons. Some of these variations were worn into the 1960s and beyond.

In 1982 an "Alternative officers Full Uniform" similar to that worn by some boys since 1963 was introduced with appropriate Warrant Officers’ or Officers’ Cap and Collar Badges worn on epaulettes was introduced. A new-style black leather belt with a chrome buckle bearing a miniature glengarry badge was introduced.  In 1984, the officers’ bronze epaulette badges were replaced by chrome-plated badges of the same design as the Lady Officers’ Hat Badge.

Before 1914, Chaplains were advised to wear their usual Clerical costume. After 1914 they were allowed to wear the Officers’ uniform.

From 1914, Brigade and Battalion Office bearers, Honorary Captains and Presidents were permitted to wear the Officers’ uniform.

Boys’ Brigade uniform is currently in a transition period between this uniform and a new uniform. A new uniform was approved at Brigade Council in 1999 and although many Companies have changed over, others are still using the older uniform. By 2006 all members will have to wear the new uniform.

Under the new uniform regulations Captains, Lieutenants and Warrant Officers wear a navy blue Boys’ Brigade sweatshirt and either a white Boys’ Brigade polo shirt or a white Boys’ Brigade shirt with Boys’ Brigade officers’ tie, plain dark trousers with a black leather belt with chrome Boys’ Brigade buckle and plain dark footwear. At the option of the relevant officer, staff may wear the hat with hat badges of the pre-2000 uniform.

BACK TO UNIFORMS INDEX


Got any comments about these pages? Please email us to tell us any ideas you have for improvements - whether this is your first or fiftieth visit!
These are the pages of the Official Boys' Brigade Collectors' Club and are maintained
 by Kevin Aitchison, 
13th Edinburgh Company.

 Copyright © 2003-04 The Boys' Brigade.
Please see our
standard disclaimer